Patti Goebel wrote: >>Speaking of Babylon, the symbolic city
of corrupted religion, John writes:  " . . . thy merchants
were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all
nations deceived.  And in her was found the blood of prophets,
and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth."
18:23-24 <<

Dear Patti,

I'm inclined to agree with you that there is more to this
verse than is evident at first glance.  Their occupation was
not so important as the status awarded them.  Consequently
these  merchants were viewed as "great men".  No doubt admired
and envied, perhaps, because they would be perceived as
knowledgable; well traveled and well informed.  I suspect they
would have been sought out and patronized as much for their
"news" as their merchandise.  They would be positioned to have
tremendous influence.

Pretty heady stuff!  .and we know where that can lead.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Lovingly,   Sandra