Dear Kazeh,

Thank you for sharing this.  Also, I'm cutting and pasting some of my thoughts from a post to the list a couple of years ago, I'm not certain whether or not you saw it because it was at the bottom of a longer post on a different subject.  Also, Susan reminded me back then that it is based on the Christian story of the Seven Sleepers of Ephesus.  After I looked up the story the fact that the sleepers in the cave of Ephesus fled there after taking on idol worshippers resonates with the Allegory of the Cave in Plato's Republic, with the Surih of the Cave, Elijah in the cave, and Baha'u'llah pointing to the myster of the Cave in Seven Valleys.  Have you run across any other commentaries similar to Sadiq's?

Patti

____________________________

I found that Kazeh had previously called
attention to Socrates' allegory of the Cave in the Republic but the
discussion didn't cover the issue of idolatry.]  The "something else" I
referred to is Baha'u'llah's comment that "He dissuaded men from worshipping
idols and taught them the way of God . . . ."

I think we could maybe learn something by taking a look at the shadows on
the wall in the allegory of the cave in The Republic(8).  Socrates shows two
types of shadows on the wall.  The first type of shadow is the moving shadow
created by "statues and figures of animals made of wood and stone and
various materials [idols]" being carried along a wall.  The other type of
shadow is that of the human figures living in the cave.  Their legs and
necks are chained so that they cannot move, all they can see are their own
shadows or the shadows of the figures being carried along the wall behind
them.  Behind both the chained human beings who can see only the shadows and
the ones who are carrying idols is a fire which casts the light to create
the shadows.  We have prisoners in a strange "prison-house".  Above it all,
the cave has a mouth opening toward the light. It appears from Socrates'
descriptions that the only escape from the cave is not an easy path.
Rather, the ascent toward the light is one along which the prisoner is
prodded, compelled and dragged up to the light where he discovers that the
fire is actually the light of the sun (which is actually an allegory for the
divine "the idea of good" (or God) toward which souls are hastening).

I think that by portraying the moving idols Socrates is addressing your
question about "When one calls the good evil, what hope can there be?" At
the base, self-interested, selfish level, humans tend to shift the ideas of
religious virtue from "Spirit" to "flesh" in whatever way is convenient to
justify their wants.  When we are down in the cave [at least on the left
hand side of the cave(9)] human perception is limited (in scriptural terms
eyes are shut, ears are stopped and hearts are hard). Later in the dialogue
Socrates notes that, from the viewpoint of one who had been outside the den
one might note that: "if they [the inhabitants of the cave] were in the
habit of conferring honours among themselves on those who were quickest to
observe the passing shadows and to remark which of them went before and
which followed after, and which were together; and who were therefore best
able to draw conclusions as to the future, do you think that he would care
for such honours and glories, or envy the possessors of them?"  In the realm
of darkness, good can be mistaken for evil.  It is only through an outside
force (I think as Baha'is we might say the intervention of God) that the
humans are released from the darkness.  It is in the light (of God's
guidance, the Covenant) that the idols are exposed for what they really are.

The virtues, according to Socrates include courage, bravery, love, and
self-control; however, any attempt to define them on human terms ends in
aporia-confusion.  However, I think it's interesting to note how closely
Socrates virtues echo Paul's "fruits of the Spirit", in other words
something from beyond the realm of human reason and exact definition.
Without divine guidance, they can be shifted for us to see good as evil or
light as dark.

Then, ignoring the issue of the "dependency theme" one might go from
Socrates' cave to the scriptures to look further at the issues of
perception: light, dark caves (or prisons), sleep in the dark, seeing,
hearing, understanding, etc.  Job appears to be rich in many of these
themes, for example "I should have slept . . . with kings and counsellors of
the earth"(10).  In other words the kings and counselors of the earth were
"asleep", if Socrates was aware of this idea, and trying to illustrate it,
perhaps it is one reason why scholars today have such a problem with any
"earthly" definition of Socrates' philosopher king.  The earthly kings are
stuck in the dark, so they obviously could not guide others to the light.

Also, the issue of being caught in chains and/or a strange prison in the
dark is found in the Bible in Job: "Why is light given to a many whose way
is hid, and whom God hath hedged in?"(11); in Isaiah: "they are hid in
prison houses"(12); and Lamentations: "He hath led me, and brought me into
darkness, but not into light . . .He hath hedged me about, that I cannot get
out: he hath made my chain heavy."(13)  I think it is particularly
interesting that in Isaiah it is the Lord who will "make darkness light".

"God is the light of the heavens and the earth; His light is as a niche in
which is a lamp, and the lamp is in a glass, the glass is as though it were
a glittering star; it is lit from a blessed tree, an olive neither of the
east nor of the west, the oil of which would well-nigh give light though no
fire touched it,-light upon light!-God guides to His light whom He pleases;
and God strikes out parables for men, and God all things doth know."