On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:27:58 -0600, Susan Maneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "No, I don't just mean random Bahais off the street coming up with
> stuff off the top of their heads. I mean the interpretations of more
> knowledgable Bahais and people whose interpretations and readings seem
> faithful and  connected to the writings as a whole."

> Dear Gilberto,

> Still not a good comparison. You're not likely to find any Rumis or Ibn
> Arabis on this list, much less on SRB! The only real comparison you can
> make is between the Qur'an itself and Baha'u'llah.

No. You don't seem to understand.

The constant is the Quran. And what I am  comparing are Bahai
interpretations of the Quran (which will reflect the words of
Bahaullah) with Muslim interpretations of the Quran (which will
reflect the words of past saints, mystics, and philosophers) Which are
deeper? More meaningful? More plausible?

> "What seems consistent [among Bahai interpretations of the Quran] is that >
> the Quran is read in ways which  deligitmize the Muslim community. And
> that is done by "spiritualizing" and reading metaphorically doctrines which >
> Muslims tend to take seriously. And by uncharitable legalistic readings of >
> passages which Muslims would actually be more flexible on."

> Uh, Gilberto most of those legalistic readings are precisely the ones the
> *majority* of  Muslims take.

Gilberto:
I don't actually believe that is true in the cases I have in mind. And
even if it were true, Bahais generally don't care how Muslims read the
Quran so I'm not sure why that point would be relevant. (I mean if you
don't care when Muslims tell you "khatam" means last, why would you
choose to read "daraba" as beat. "daraba" in Arabic also can bear
multiple meanings and doesn't have to be read in gross, physical,
brutal terms.)

 A good example would be the discussion in soc.religion.bahai between
a certain Bahai and myself on the subject of retaliation. And the
Bahai was trying to argue that the Quran was saying that if a man
murders a another man's wife, the Quranic punishment would be to kill
the murder's innocent wife!! Something which I don't think any Muslim
scholar has argued.

Or again, another exchange where a different Bahai was arguing that
the Quran gives a husband a right to beat his wife, while I know of
plenty of Muslims who would argue the opposite, and base it not just
on the Quran but on the sunnah as well.

The problem is the inconsistency (or from another perspective, the
consistency) of the Bahai approach.

> Which gems did you have in mind?
>

> The gems in the Qur'an? We can start with the Surih of Rahman.;-}

I mean, gems in the Quran which are substantially missing from the
Bible. although personally I am more moved by the Quran and I feel it
speaks to me more clearly than the Bible and my heart finds more
satisfaction with Islam than with the Bible, I wouldn't necessarily
want to make unwarranted criticisms of the Bible. I think contentwise,
the theme of being grateful for God's many blessings is certainly
found in the Bible and in particular there is a Psalm somewhat
reminiscent of that Surah.