Gilberto Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

But I would think that the value of a human life doesn't go up or down
like hemlines either. I would think that in general if a certain act
of killing was wrong after 1844 it would have been wrong before too,
no?

J: One way I would respond is to say that morality and sense of human value change from time to time: These changes emanate from God.  Before 1863 (or whenever Bahaullah outlawed it - can someone help? - ), it was a-okay to kill to defend one's religion or ward off persecution.  After the pronouncement, with the Command of His Pen, the rules were changed.  This change may also occur within a particular Dispensation.  Since I know Baha'u'llah's writings better than I know the Qur'an, I can point to an example - In the Surih of Hajj 1, Baha'u'llah commands the shaving of one's head.  In the Surih of Hajj 2 and the Aqdas, Baha'u'llah reverses the command and forbids the shaving of one's head in any circumstance.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses. __________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com To unsubscribe, send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, use subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu