On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 18:28:53 -0600, Mark A. Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gilberto,

> You replied:
> >>I'm not sure I follow?<<

> In other words, there are eternal teachings, but the explanations given for
> it in the Baha'i texts are, to my understanding, different from the common
> perennialist argument.

Gilberto:
Ok, maybe I'm just totally wrong but I have the impression that you
are saddling them with unnecessary baggage. I mean, I would tend to be
rather mellow about the term "perennialism" be more inclusive in how I
use it.

Gilberto:
> >>But as long as you admit that there *are* eternal teachings of the prophets
> >>which don't change, isn't that perennialism right there?<<

Mark:
> Outwardly. The problem is that proponents of the philosophia perennis
> generally ground these eternal teachings in a static ontology of being.

Gilberto:
But is that a necessary connection? I mean, I wouldn't attempt to
logically prove the truth of perennialism from axioms. I would just
say that it seems like there are many deep and not so deep
commonalities across world religions. We are all in the same boat. The
validity of religion depends on the human condition, it doesn't change
easily based on time or place. Belief in perennialism seems more true
to me than insisting that perennialism is false.

Gilberto:
> >>Earlier, when I've heard you or Susan object to Perennialism it seemed like
> >>you were giving the impression that there were no fixed rules. That any of
> >>the commandments could change. And there were no eternal laws.<<

Mark:
> I would never say there are no fixed rules or eternal laws. However, if they
> are fixed or eternal, it is because God desires them to be that way. They are
> emanations from God, not manifestations of God.

Gilberto:
I'm not sure about the distinction you are making here.

And I could have sworn that you did seem to have a problem with the
idea of fixed rules. Because I think I remember suggesting the
scenario of God willing the rules to stay hte same.

Gilberto:
> >>But the passage from Abdul Baha seems to allow for the possibility that
> >>there is a core which doesn't change from prophet to prophet. The Holy of
> >>Holies.<<

Mark:
> I agree there is a core, however expressed, which does not change from
> Prophet to Prophet.
>
> >>I mean, am I missing something? This is saying that the fundamental basis,
> >>the essnece of the laws of the various prophets does not change or alter.
> >>It will never be abrogated.<<

Mark:
> Descriptively, the Baha'i approach is, as I see it, virtually the same as the
> one used by most perennialists, including the traditionalists. Explanatorily,
> there are considerable differences.

Gilberto:
Eh fair enough. Although I've heard from Susan many moons ago that
there are some perennialist Bahais. After reading that passage in Some
Answered Questions its not really surprising.

> >>I mean seems pretty clear from this passage that Perennialism is basically
> >>true. The only issue would be some technical detail here or there.<<
>
> I would say outwardly true, not basically true.

Why not basically true?