Hi, Gilberto,

At 08:24 PM 12/25/2004, you wrote:
>>Ok, maybe I'm just totally wrong but I have the impression that you are
>>saddling them with unnecessary baggage. I mean, I would tend to be rather
>>mellow about the term "perennialism" be more inclusive in how I use it.<<

Well, perennialism is only a word. However, it has generally been, especially
since it was popularized by Huxley, an appellation for a kind of transreligious
Platonism. I am not aware of any contemporary self-defined perennialists who
who are not Platonists.

>>But is that a necessary connection?<<

Connections between words and meanings are never necessary.

>>I would just say that it seems like there are many deep and not so deep
>>commonalities across world religions. We are all in the same boat.<<

I agree about the commonalities, at least as they were originally presented by
the Prophets, especially if one can distinguish Revelation from paradigmatic
context.

>>Belief in perennialism seems more true to me than insisting that perennialism
>>is false.<<

I think one can recognize the eternal aspects of various divine Revelations
without falling back on perennialism or Platonism. In my view, perennialism
turns God into an automaton and religion into magick.

I wrote:
> [...]

You replied:
>>I'm not sure about the distinction you are making here.<<

A manifestation is an appearance. If I hold up a mirror to someone's face, I
can say that the mirror manifests that person's face. My individual soul is my
reality. I *am* a soul. My body is a manifestation of that soul. The Prophet's
divine nature manifests, or reveals, God's Essence.

An emanation is an expression. My various websites express, or emanate from, my
interests and thoughts. They do not manifest me. An actor's performance
expresses, or is an emanation from, her or his thinking processes. The
performance is not a manifestation of the actor.

Similarly, the teachings of the Prophets emanate from the Will of God. They do
not manifest hypothetical Platonic ideal forms in the mind of God. They are
relative to God's Will, not reflections, or manifestations, of God's Essence.

>>And I could have sworn that you did seem to have a problem with the idea of
>>fixed rules. Because I think I remember suggesting the scenario of God
>>willing the rules to stay hte same.<<

In principle, I don't have a problem with fixed rules or laws. However, I would
say that, if there are any constants, it is only because God has willed them.
The differentiation between ideal forms and divine Will (not constants per se)
is what distinguishes ontological realism from nominalism.

>>Eh fair enough. Although I've heard from Susan many moons ago that there are
>>some perennialist Bahais. After reading that passage in Some Answered
>>Questions its not really surprising.<<

Most Baha'is I know, even those who never heard of the word, are perennialists.

>>Why not basically true?<<

To me, "basically" implies ideal forms.

With regards, Mark A. Foster * 15 Sites: http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" -- Abbie Hoffman