At 11:02 AM -0800 12/28/04, Ronald Stephens wrote:

>1. What languages did the Central Figures speak and write and understand?
>For instance,
>I know that the Guardian translated some Writings of the earlier Central
>Figures into English;
>so I suppose He spoke English as well as Persian, Arabic, and possibly
>other languages
>that he learned at Cambridge?

As Susan has noted, Shoghi Effendi was fluent in French, even considering
it better than his English.   According to Ruhiyyih Khanum, he also spoke
good German.  When they went to Switzerland, she has said he often visited
in German with visitors in the hotel they stayed at.  Tho' they travelled
in Italian speaking Switzerland, I have never seen or heard of him speaking
Italian.

>What languages were spoken by Abdul Baha, and what language were his books
>written in?
> Did He speak any English? Did He use any interpreters in His travels?
He corresponded in Turkish with members of the constitutional movement in
Turkey, so Turkish is a language of Revelation.  Very little of this has
even provisional translations.  He apparently could speak *some* English,
but rarely if ever "publicly".  I have heard several references to His
having made short comments in English to Americans.  Also there is some
evidence He discussed translations of His talks with translators, such that
they appear to have changed the English wording slightly.

At 2:32 PM -0500 12/28/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Shoghi Effendi was trained in Arabic and Persian, Turkic, English and
>French, attending western
> schools in the Holy Land and eventually attending the best universities
>in England.
I had not heard of Shoghi Effendi speaking or writing in Turkic.  Do you
have a reference?

Don C

He who believes himself spiritual proves he is not.