In a message dated 1/2/2005 12:59:59 P.M. Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
The Prophet married her (by traditional accounts) when she was seven, but did not consumate the marriage until she was eleven. That seems reasonable to me by the standards of the time.
Dear Scott,

There are some hadith accounts that suggest she may have been as old as her late teens. I couldn't tell you which account is more reliable, however. But yes, girls usually married as soon after puberty as possible in antiquity. Chances are the Virgin Mary was about 14 when she gave birth to Christ. Any older than that and she would have already been wed.

warmest, Susan