Gilberto,

If I might jump in here. (I go back to work on Wednesday, and I won't be on the
Internet quite as much as I am now.)

At 05:55 PM 1/10/2005, you wrote:
>>So what do you think is the defining property of "manifestation" (not just a
>>description or summary of what you think, but the essential definition)?<<

I don't think there are "essential" definitions, only conceptual and
operational definitions.

In the context of this discussion, the defining characteristic of a supreme
Manifestation, or greater Prophet, is that He brings a Book and is a Lawgiver.

Your description of a manifestation in Islam might come closest to the Baha'i
concept of a lesser Prophet (a dependent Manifestation):
-----
     Universally, the Prophets are of two kinds. One are the independent
Prophets Who are followed; the other kind are not independent and are
themselves followers.
     The independent Prophets are the lawgivers and the founders of a new
cycle.  Through Their appearance the world puts on a new garment, the
foundations of religion are established, and a new book is revealed.  Without
an intermediary They receive bounty from the Reality of the Divinity, and Their
illumination is an essential illumination. They are like the sun which is
luminous in itself:  the light is its essential necessity; it does not receive
light from any other star.  These Dawning-places of the morn of Unity are the
sources of bounty and the mirrors of the Essence of Reality.
     The other Prophets are followers and promoters, for they are branches and
not independent; they receive the bounty of the independent Prophets, and they
profit by the light of the Guidance of the universal Prophets.  They are like
the moon, which is not luminous and radiant in itself, but receives its light
from the sun.
     The Manifestations of universal Prophethood Who appeared independently
are, for example, Abraham, Moses, Christ, Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah.
But the others who are followers and promoters are like Solomon, David, Isaiah,
Jeremiah and Ezekiel.  For the independent Prophets are founders; They
establish a new religion and make new creatures of men; They change the general
morals, promote new customs and rules, renew the cycle and the Law.  Their
appearance is like the season of spring, which arrays all earthly beings in a
new garment, and gives them a new life.
     With regard to the second sort of Prophets who are followers, these also
promote the Law of God, make known the Religion of God, and proclaim His word.
Of themselves they have no power and might, except what they receive from the
independent Prophets.
-- `Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, pp.164-165

With regards, Mark A. Foster • 15 Sites: http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" -- Abbie Hoffman