Firouz,

I am sorry for your experiences. They do not seem to
be good.

A couple of years ago (2 I think) there was a
counsellor from Russia over in Ireland to attend a
non-Bahai conference. She told us that in her town the
LSA decided to offer the Ruhi book 1 as a personal
development course to the wider community
(non-Bahais).
They adapted the book insuch a way that people could
attend only one session if they wanted and asked for
feed back each session. This seemed to work well.

I have always believed the books can be adapted. Maybe
you could have a further talk with your ABM about
this? And also, nothing I feel prevents you from
setting up your own study circle. I don't think your
LSA would forbid you to set up a study circle.

Quite often we feel that when an ABM or counsellor
says such and such that that is the end ofthe matter.
I think though that we can have far more say in things
than we think we can. We can ask for a consultation
with the ABM/Counsellor (thatis what they are for) but
in the end they are individuals. Individuals who are
considered to have an insight, wisdom and knowledge of
the BAhai writings which makes them worthy to be part
of the Branch of the Learned so their words weigh for
me heavier than that of another individual, but that
does not makethem infallible.

I believe in the spirit of cooperation but I do not
beleive in shutting up. I think that there is a way of
consultation one can apply which is not argumentative,
not hostile, but which is open and searching.
I never read that counsellors and ABMs are under the
same protection and guidance as LSAs, NSAs and the UHJ
from Baha'u'llah and Abdu'l-Baha. We have the
institutions to make the decisions, but what a person
says is not binding and does not have to be always
inspired.

I hope you will find a way to set up your own study
circle, (not a ruhi one) or to adapt the ruhi books to
such a degree that they become successful in the area
where you are. If you set up your own study circle and
it is successful, people will notice and questions
will be asked.

much love,

janine van rooij
dublin, ireland