In a message dated 1/22/2005 12:09:24 PM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Alot of the Islamic penalties can be mitigated as well. They aren't
applied in a vacum. There are all sorts of exceptions, and
requirements and its a basic principle that you want to avoid applying
severe punishments. Make excuses for people.  And the society, if
healthy, would make it easy to keep the law. Yes, there is a harsh
punishment for theft, but the ideal Islamic state is supposed to be a
welfare state which would make sure that people's needs are taken care
of and economic exploitation is reduced. Yes there is a harsh
punishment for adultery, but the society would encourage modesty. And
it is actually really easy to get divorced and married. Even if you
wanted to be really cynical, in order to convict for adultery you are
supposed to have 4 upright witness who see penetration. To get married
you only need 2 witnesses and it literally could just take a couple
seconds to have a legally valid marriage.
I agree that mitigations are allowed. But I see Qur'anic Shariah as social laws enacted for the time and place. It is not, however the same time and place today. It is only when the nations who, to my estimation, are not upright and ethical Islamic nations attempt to set the clock back and ignore the passage of time that such problems arise.

Regards,

Scott