Hi, Gilberto,

At 03:24 PM 1/22/2005, you wrote:
>>Here's what I'm not sure you are seeing.<<

I understand your point about historical or longitudinal particularism versus
cultural particularism. However, neither perspective has much to do with why I
am calling the perennialisms I have studied triumphalist.

>>Really?<<

Yes. The idea that "most progressed," according to a certain framework, implied
superiority fueled the machine of the "white man's burden," many of the
19th-century approaches to cultural evolution (especially those of Tyler and
Morgan), and Herbert Spencer's Social Darwinism. Progress is relative, not
absolute, and it should not be the basis for judgments of superiority or
inferiority.

>>Could you give a clearer example of what it would mean for a religion to
>>claim superiority?<<

To say that only people who believe what I believe are going to heaven (or some
similar idea).

>>In terms of "school"-education, they are obviously superior.<<

I don't believe that, because I have a Ph.D., I am superior to my students, who
are working on their associates and bachelors degrees. If I *did* believe so, I
don't think I would be a very effective professor. I simply have acquired
certain knowledge which my students wish to learn. I have often found that my
students can educate me in other areas.

>>Could you give an example of how this is problematic in the direction of
>>triumphalism? I mean, to some degree, even Bahais do this.<<

Hopefully, I did so above.

>>For example, In order to claim that Buddha was a manifestion you end up
>>having to impose some structure of Buddhism and reject the parts which don't
>>fit.<<

I agreed with you before that some Baha'is are triumphalistic, but I would
never do what you suggested.

>>I honestly don't see it. At least not in a way that is convincing. For
>>example, the Bahais and plenty of others might look at the various religions
>>and point out that the major religions all seem to have certain teachings in
>>common. Some form of Golden rule. Honor your parents. Don't lie. Don't steal.
>>Be forgiving. Be patient...etc. right.?<<

Intelligently acknowledging similarities, after having studied each religion,
is different from a purely deductive approach in which one begins with the
assumption of doctrinal similarity in advance, or in the absence, of such study.

>>I think that there are certain aspects where religions actually and truly
>>disagree with one another but I wouldn't want to put a square peg in a round
>>hole. I don't know that Perennialists always insist on doing that.<<

Then what is it you believe is "perennial"?

Regards, Mark A. Foster • http://markfoster.net • [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger." ---- Abbie Hoffman