On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:49:37 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In a message dated 1/23/2005 2:45:25 AM Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Personally, I think that it is possible to outline
> certain features
> which constitute a "good government" but this should be
> independent
> from a particular ideology.

> Which is, of course, a product of western secular thought > and practice.

No, not at all. There is the example of the community of the prophet
in the Medina and statements in the Quran, the hadith, the writings of
early Muslims which discuss what it means to be a just ruler, and what
is the proper role of government. You can certain talk about how the
ruler should be responsive to the needs of the people, and shouldn't
be a tyrant, and that government officials shouldn't be corrupt, etc.
without having to swallow along with it secular liberal capitalsm.