>>It is hardly news that Osama bin Laden does not share the Enlightenment value
>>placed on a citizen's right to vote for a representative government.<<

IMO, this editorial is mostly nonsense. The fact that an opinion journalist
would spout out this twaddle raises serious questions, in my mind, about his
qualifications to write for a supposedly reputable newspaper.

Why is he questioning al-Qa'ida's commitment to democracy but *not* that of the
West, especially the United States and Britain? It is absurd to believe that
there is any intention on that parts of these two governments to bring about
democracy or freedom (whatever they are) in Iraq and other countries. If so,
the U.S. and Britain would not be working so feverishly to marginalize those
Iraqis who want to institute an Iranian-style Shi'ih theocracy.

In other words, it is not democracy which is being promoted by these
power-hungry Western regimes. It is governments friendly to globalization, both
economic and political, and Zionism.

Several so-called pundits have been pointing out supposed differences between
President Bush and his father, a well-known internationalist. It is simply more
foolishness. Nothing significant has changed but the language. The current
president has simply found a way to package his father's internationalism in a
manner more appealing to social conservatives.

Regards, Mark A. Foster • http://markfoster.net • [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger." ---- Abbie Hoffman