On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:50:44 -0900, Sandra Chamberlain
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Scott:
> > Trying to enforce the cutting off of a man's hand for theft
> > becomes a
> > problem when the rest of the world society perceives it to
> > be brutal - for
> > one instance.

> Gilberto:
> But on what grounds is it brutal?

> It's inhumane;  lacking in compassion, sympathy, or
> consideration for a fellow human being.  It's a life sentence
> without an appendage.  It's an act of vengence, branding, and
> humiliation rather than one of punishment equal to the crime.

Gilberto:
It's a life sentence without an apendage. Everything else you've
mentioned is not intrinsic to the practice. And could actually be said
about many other forms of punishment practiced in the West and
elsewhere.

But that's not even the main issue. The thing I'm having trouble
seeing from your perspective is why God would have mandated the
punishment to begin with? Even though I disagree with many of the
things you mentioned in your list, not one of them would be any less
true before 1844.

On a couple of different issues, it seems like there is the same
story. Where Bahais are critical of some Islamic practice. But the
practice in question is actually based on the Quran, so Bahais sort of
"have to" say it comes from God. But then explanation for why it would
be ok then, and not ok now, is unconvincing.