In a message dated 1/24/2005 8:33:48 AM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
But that's not even the main issue. The thing I'm having trouble
seeing from your perspective is why God would have mandated the
punishment to begin with? Even though I disagree with many of the
things you mentioned in your list, not one of them would be any less
true before 1844.
Because then it was appropriate to mark the habitual thief in a way that was easy to spot.
Punishment for theft nowadays in the west is imprisonment with the hope that the perpetrator can be rehabilitated. Rehabilitation would be more difficult if he was branded or mutilated for his crime.

That's western perspective.

Baha`i perspective is that the Islamic punishment suited the time and place. It doesnot suit THIS time and place because God has altered it. If that's unconvincing, who said you had to be convinced? This is a discussion, how often will discussion lead to convincing those who hold contrary positions?

Regards,

Scott