On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:36:04 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Gilberto: I'm pretty sure that "street churches" where long-haired hippies
> > go around in public openly proclaiming the gospel are alot older than the
> > kind with pews : )
>
> I totally agree, and I think that's a completely valid kind of religion.

I'm not sure if you got it. You mentioned these hippie churches during
the 60's as if they were a new thing. My point (which I certainly am
not the first person to point out) is in certain respects these "new"
hippies were superficially and in a deeper sense kind of like Jesus'
disciples (One of the few musicals that I like is Jesus Christ
Superstar). So its not real progress in the sense of genuine
innovation. It's just a rerun of something which came before.

> This began with you saying that if one kind of religion is valid at one time
> and place, it ought to be valid at all times and all places, and that's what
> we disagree on.

I don't think I said one KIND of religion. Just "one religion". And I
suspect that you have in mind something more narrow and legalistic
with that term.

>  It seems to
> me that you have a problem with the idea of mankind maturing and becoming
> able to internalize greater portions of God's revelation - which, according
> to Bahá'í belief, is ultimately and forever beyond the capacity of man to
> fully understand.

I think individuals can certainly  internalize greater portions of
God's revelation, grow more deeply in their faith. But as individuals
coming into the world as infants we always start from 0. And we
fundamentally have to learn the same lessons. The specifics may
differ, but in a deeper sense, we are all in the same boat.