>>So are you saying that nothing above and beyond what the Manifestations
>>reveal exists in man's mind, heart, or his environment to manifest signs of
>>and lessons on, goodness?  In other words, God has no interaction with man
>>outside of the interaction between man and the Manifestation.<<

Well, I would want to separate out those ideas:

First, yes, I do *not* think that goodness is, from a Baha'i perspective, a
valid concept apart from the Revelation of a Prophet. However, anyone is
obviously free to define goodness in any fashion they please. (Goodness *is*
nothing but categorization.)

Second, your statement would appear to assume something like natural theology,
a common approach among religious and ethical humanists, which I do not accept.

Third, I believe that God can have interaction with anyone, especially through
prayer and meditation. However, as `Abdu'l-Baha said, personal intuitions and
visions can easily be confused with imagination and are, therefore,
untrustworthy.

>>If goodness is only the product of the Pen and Tongue of the Manifestation,
>>then animal behavior cannot be bad or good, since the animal cannot
>>understand the Manifestation.<<

I would agree that animals are neither good nor bad - except in relation to
human values.

>>A snake biting and poisoning a rabbit, for example, cannot be described as
>>'bad' or 'murder'.  Likewise, since man cannot understand God, just as a dog
>>cannot understand Baha'u'llah, we cannot know, and we cannot understand, what
>>goodness or badness is to God except as manifested through His
>>Manifestations.<<

I think so, yes.

Regards, Mark A. Foster • http://markfoster.net • [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger." ---- Abbie Hoffman