Gilberto,

At 10:09 AM 1/25/2005, you wrote:
>>That she was pre-pubescent is an assumption on your part. There are
>>indications otherwise.<<

I know the issue is not decided. However, the author of the article you
referenced before on the subject said that, presently, the evidence *did*
support that she was 9 years old.

To me, however, it doesn't matter either way, but I am a moral relativist. ;-)

>>And according to the commentaries he at least waited till after puberty.<<

I don't see how that matters. What would happen in most parts of the U.S. if a
grown man wanted to marry an 11- or 12-year-old girl? How would the majority of
people likely respond?

>>So what is the difference between a "folkway" and a "more"?<<

On a scale, a folkway is a relatively unimportant norm (like most etiquette),
while a more is a more important norm (like the subject we are discussing would
be in the U.S.). All norms, or rules of social conduct, are socially
constructed (as are the social controls and punishments which may accompany
their violation).

>>It is certainly weird and atypical, but if I could be convinced that their
>>intentions didn't involve any hint that they would exploit the child I
>>wouldn't have a moral objection to them being betrothed.<<

However, it was *not* weird and atypical in 7th-century Arabia.

>>So Squires is obviously saying there is an absolute morality on the one hand
>>and cultural norms on the other. And furthermore, he says that Christians who
>>seem to find the young marriage of Aishah morally objectionable are confusing
>>the latter for the former.<<

If the writer is advocating moral absolutism, I would disagree with him, too.

>>But what I don't understand is why that would even be your hope. Why wouldn't
>>the character of the messenger  be an issue?<<

Because, in principle, I don't think that a Prophet is required to conform to
human standards of conduct.

Regards, Mark A. Foster • http://markfoster.net • [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger." ---- Abbie Hoffman