>>Is there a scientific way to distinguish between the two, pure and applied?<<

If you mean a reasonable or systematic way to distinguish between them, I don't
think that it is difficult to distinguish between them. What I called "applied
interpretations" clearly refer either to either a specific time period or a
particular individual or set of individuals. If the circumstances change (as
with the end of the Soviet Union referred to by the Guardian in _Citadel of
Faith_), the interpretation may no longer be relevant.

As I see it, the difficulty is not in distinguishing between pure and applied
interpretations. It is determining whether, with respect to the Guardian's
suggestions to individuals, a particular statement was an applied
interpretation (assuming some of them could be classified as such) or only the
Guardian's personal opinion. In any event, the Guardian indicated that these
suggestions are not binding.

>>Unlike other organizations, differences of this nature caused them to split
>>into two separate camps.<<

Yes. In that respect, I think that the absence of a living authoritative
interpreter is a call to individual and community responsibility and an
invitation to greater polydoxy. IMO, Ruhi may represent an abandonment,
hopefully temporary, of that responsibility.

Regards, Mark A. Foster • http://markfoster.net • [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger." ---- Abbie Hoffman