In the morning a group of Druze and their chiefs attained the presence of
`Abdu’l-Baha. Shaykh Salih expressed his fear of the war, to which `Abdu’l-Baha
responded:

You have not experienced genuine difficult times, for if you had, such
occurrences would not perturb you. One night we owned a vast estate and
possessed all manners of comfort, but in the morning we were evicted and
deprived of all belongings. Not even a coat was left to us. In the midst of the
most agonizing cold, we were banished from one country to another. I went to my
mother, asking for some food, but she had none to give. I asked for some flour
and ate it in place of food. En route, in the hope of a good meal, I purchased
syrup, flour and oil [to make halvah]. Instead, they mistakenly added a large
quantity of pepper, which severely burned our mouths and insides.
One of our friends was branded seventy times. Others had their noses cut off.
Yet others were hanged upside down, until all their intestines fell out.
We have weathered such storms. I pray that everything goes well and that God
will protect all.

At lunchtime, Shaykh Salih gave a large feast with a variety of dishes. He had
invited fifteen of Arab chiefs and had exerted much effort for this event.
Before lunch, when all were assembled in the divan of Shaykh Salih,
`Abdu’l-Baha shared a humorous story of a fanatical Protestant minister who had
belittled Islam and had suffered humiliation as a result. He also spoke of
Manes, the Painter, who was a remarkable artist and the founder of Manichaeism
in the third Christian century.

The remnant Baha’is of Haifa came to Abu-Sinan on this date and `Abdu’l-Baha
left for `Akka. Also, it was during this period that the box containing Tablets
and holy relics were sent to Abu-Sinan for safekeeping. This box was the
nucleus of the future International Baha’i archives.

Dr. Mu’ayyad reports that `Abdu’l-Baha sat under the rays of the sun in `Akka
and said, “The warmth of the sun is pleasant.” He was asked about `Ad  and
Themoud . The Master responded:

There were [certain tribes] prior to the time of Moses who numbered among the
Arab clans that are no more, that is, no sign of them has remained. Their
mention is made in the history of Islam, but they are not referenced in the
Torah. They came from the city of Ahqaf and certain evidences, such as, wells,
caves, and other things, were present at the time of the Prophet Muhammad. In
the ancient times, on the ancient route to the hajj, they had excavated many
caves, which were used as their dwelling. Europeans have written about them;
some of their marks and writings have survived. They disappeared as a result of
floods, storms and earthquakes.

By the Naqih  [She-camel] is intended the Prophet Salih . They injured Him and
decided to slay Him. However those who planned to destroy the Faith of God,
were themselves destroyed by God. “So their Lord destroyed them for their
crime, and visited all alike: Nor feared he the issue.”

`Abdu’l-Baha and Mu’ayyad walked to the House of `Abdu’llah Pasha where an
unkempt Arab beggar with filthy clothes and dirty, uncombed hair came to
`Abdu’l-Baha. With utmost affection `Abdu’l-Baha caressed his face and beard
and spoke many words of encouragement and humor to him: “May God grant you
bounties. May God gladden your heart. What a wonderful chin! How is your
health?” After the Arab beggar left, `Abdu’l-Baha said:

When it is revealed, “Consort with all the religions,”  the intention is
association with such people. Although there is no connection between us, I
have served him for twenty years. [The intention of Baha’u’llah’s exhortation]
is not to associate with a Covenant-breaker or those who curse the Blessed
Beauty, or the likes of Haji Muhammad-Karim Khan who wrote in refutation of His
Holiness the Exalted One [the Bab].

The intention is to consort with such people that are not antagonistic, or
two-faced, or conniving, or hypocritical . Such people, [as this poor Arab,]
are not believers, and there is no harm in that; let him believe in his own
convictions. It is exhorted that if we disfavor someone, it should not be over
his religion. For instance, we should not avoid a Christian because of his
beliefs. However, we should eschew people with abhorrent behavior, such as, a
thief, or philanderer, or a murderer. “Consort with all the religions” does not
apply to such people. That is, if you know that someone sows the seeds of
rebellion and enmity against the Blessed Beauty, then you should not associate
with them. We have no relation with these people and leave them to their own
devices.

A large, beautiful rooster was walking under the sun and picking seeds, and
`Abdu’l-Baha said, “If roosters were rare, people would go from city to city to
see and admire them. However, their preponderance has prevented their value to
increase.”

`Abdu’l-Baha and several friends continued to stroll to the seashore. When they
first reached the shore, portions of the seawall looked in utter disrepair. The
Master said, “This world is the plane of creation and disintegration. The
process never stops: On one side it creates new people, and on the other it
destroys what she has created. The world will not grow tired. How numerous are
the days witnessed by the world! They had buildings along this section [of the
walls] and in front of them they had built a bathhouse. With these rocks they
had made a natural pool and therein would wash their cloths.”

When they reached a fork in the road, the Master asked, “Which way should we
go?” Ustad Muhammad-`Ali Banna [master-builder], who at times chanted prayers
in the presence of `Abdu’l-Baha, suggested, “Going right is better.” The Master
remarked, “Indeed, right is more desirable and left is not. Even the right hand
is stronger than the left and it does all the work: It writes and performs
various tasks. But when the right-hand is tired, engaged, injured or paralyzed,
then the left hand does its work. In Arabic, right is pleasant. It has two
meaning: right and oath.”

They came near a young boy selling oranges. `Abdu’l-Baha inquired, “Do you like
oranges?” The friends responded that they did, and he purchased ten oranges.
Meanwhile two Arab girls approached and as they were looking at the Baha’is,
`Abdu’l-Baha said to them, “You each take five oranges as well.” One of them
responded, “But we have no money.” `Abdu’l-Baha said, “No problem. I shall pay
for them.”

Afterwards, `Abdu’l-Baha instructed Dr. Mu’ayyad to report about his mission to
Germany in the previous summer. He said, “German means ‘Our kinsmen.’ “

  Mu’ayyad asked, “Would it be possible for the Master to once more bless the
western world with His footsteps?”

  `Abdu’l-Baha replied, “Europe is far. I wish to go to Jerusalem and Medina
since these cities are near.”

  Mu’ayyad said, “Herr Galtsiner  would cry and say, ‘Tell `Abdu’l-Baha that I
want to sacrifice myself for him!’ as he was being taken to the battlefield.”

  `Abdu’l-Baha remarked, “Yes, Mousier Bernard was also taken to the
battlefield, but if there was a single person in the world who was against war,
it was him. He detested it most intensely and was so utterly against it that I
am unable to describe for you. However, he was forced into joining the combat.
For those who have sacrificed themselves in the path of God, it is difficult to
sacrifice instead for mere soil, which is the least worthy of all creation.”

  Mu’ayyad said, “In Germany, the nationalistic slogans and patriotic military
marches are heard from one direction, and from another, talks given in the
Baha’i gatherings and the voices of prayer and supplication to God are heard.
Indeed it seems that the believers have no cares about these ominous affairs,
and are solely occupied with the mention of God and spiritual matters.”

  `Abdu’l-Baha remarked, “Verily, it is most astounding to raise the divine
call in the midst of such commotion and chaos. In truth, during our seven or
eight days of stay in Stuttgart, the light of God’s love was so brilliantly
aglow that the friends were exceedingly joyful and happy. Good seeds were
planted.”

  Mu’ayyad said, “These friends are indeed righteous and their Baha’i teachers
must, of a certainty, have been devoted and firm in the Covenant and Testament,
and had been pious and righteous, which is why the Cause of God is progressing
so remarkably.”

  `Abdu’l-Baha said, “Yes, from the very beginning, good seeds were planted.”

   After some more exchange about the European Baha’is, `Abdu’l-Baha remarked,
“… While in Europe, I always proclaimed, ‘The Cause of Baha’u’llah embraces all
the past Dispensations and manifests all their benefits to human society. It is
like a tree that has many strong branches. The Faith of Baha’u’llah contains
all the teachings beneficial to the world of humanity and will profit every
segment of society. For instance, the New Testament speaks of compassion,
kindness, forgiveness and clemency. These same teachings exist in the Faith of
Baha’u’llah. The Qur’an speaks of justice and punishment, and these same
concepts are preserved in the Cause of Baha’u’llah. In short, whatever good and
productive precepts exist among the diverse groups of humanity are all present
in the Cause of God. In addition, the Faith offers certain principles, which
others lack. For instance, [the principle of] the oneness of humanity; religion
must be cause of love and fellowship; religion must be in accord with reason
and science; proclamation of universal peace; equality of men and women;
promotion of learning and spirituality; and many others.’”

Mu’ayyad then shared a few short anecdotes related to the Baha’is of Stuttgart
and related, “Each day we would talk of such things and remind ourselves: ‘Who
would have thought from the period that the Blessed Perfection was taken
barefoot and bareheaded from Niyavaran to Tihran until the time that the
Commission of Inquiry planned to send the Master to Fizan, such remarkable
victories could be won? Who would have predicted such a majestic day like
today?’”

The group continued walking in the company of `Abdu’l-Baha to the cemetery
where a number of the early believers were buried. `Abdu’l-Baha stood by the
graves and, with hands raised heavenwards, whispered prayers and supplicated
divine mercy for those resting in their eternal abode.

The group continued strolling to the train station where `Abdu’l-Baha sat in
the terminal and said to Dr. Mu’ayyad, “Now that you have become a physician,
come and take my pulse.” As soon as he checked `Abdu’l-Baha’s pulse, he was
shocked and reported, “Your pulse is very slow, but regular. The arteries seem
to have the proper flow.” `Abdu’l-Baha remarked, “From the age of thirty, I
have had a slow pulse. All others have a pulse rate of about 75 to 80 [per
minute] and therefore greatly wonder about my pulse rate. What rate did you
measure?” Mu’ayyad stated, “I did not count the rate, but suspect that it is
about forty [per minute].” He responded, “No, it is 45 to 46. Count for
yourself.” Mu’ayyad reports that he closely counted with his watch and it was
45. So he reported the result. `Abdu’l-Baha stated, “If I have a fever, it goes
up to 50.”

They proceeded to stroll in the company of `Abdu’l-Baha in the streets of
`Akka. When they reached the gate by the police station, `Abdu’l-Baha remarked,
“First they wanted to imprison us here, but we refused. Consequently, they took
us to the citadel.”  Along the way, wherever the people of `Akka were
congregated or were sitting, at the sight of `Abdu’l-Baha they would rise in
full height and greet him affectionately. Whoever they passed by, they would
instantly bend low with hands reaching the soil and then bring it over their
head, thereby offering the customary expressions of submissiveness, reverence
and humility. Children playing in the streets would quit their play and run up
to him and kiss his hands, and then return to their games.

        En route someone came and implored `Abdu’l-Baha to temporarily lease
the rooms
of the Mansion of Bahji so that, during the disturbances in `Akka, he and his
family could take refuge there. `Abdu’l-Baha responded, “For the sake of your
grandfather I will permit you. I can never forget your grandfather. Yes, I will
let you, but it is for his sake.” When he left, `Abdu’l-Baha remarked, “This
person was a grandson of Mahmud Effendi Safadi . The late Mahmud Effendi was a
believer and a wonderful man. But after his passing, because of the gossip
mongering of the Covenant-breakers against us and the doubts that they
instilled in them, his family completely severed their ties with us. This man
was a friend of Fariq  and truly adored him, and the Covenant-breakers were
constantly provoking him to harm us and cause mischief at an opportune time.”