Dear Jim,

Being a bit confused about your own position with regard to
this statement:

"What I am suggesting is that we each have a responsibility to
promote the best interests of the peoples and kindreds of the
earth, to the best of our knowledge, understanding, and
capacity, even if it means promoting ideas that seem to us to
contradict what the Universal House of Justice has said."

[While I appreciate the clarification offered in response to
Khazeh.  I'm still not certain if you are advocating the
promotion of personal desires or admonishing those who do...
in "the best interests of the peoples and kindreds of the
earth"]

... and your following up question re: Seven Valleys and Four
Valley with further quotes from the Hidden Words - suggest to
me that perhaps you feel you have reached some degree of
spiritual insight that perhaps others are unaware.

Each of us have capacity for spiritual insight to lesser and
greater degrees.  To be truly informed of the innermost
mysteries hidden in the Sacred Writings carries certain
conditions and prerequisites as Baha'u'llah describes:

   "Shouldst thou desire to apprehend these celestial
allusions, to witness the mysteries of divine knowledge, and
to become acquainted with His all-encompassing Word, then it
behoveth thine eminence to inquire into these and other
questions pertaining to thine origin and ultimate goal from
those whom God hath made to be the Wellspring of His
knowledge, the Heaven of His wisdom, and the Ark of His
mysteries. For were it not for those effulgent Lights that
shine above the horizon of His Essence, the people would know
not their left hand from their right, how much less could they
scale the heights of the inner realities or probe the depths
of their subtleties!
   Whosoever entereth this city will comprehend every science
before probing into its mysteries and will acquire from the
leaves of its trees a knowledge and wisdom encompassing such
mysteries of divine lordship as are enshrined within the
treasuries of creation."  (Baha'u'llah, Gems of Divine
Mysteries, p. 14)

Abdu'l-Baha further warns us:  "When man is not endowed with
inner perception he is not informed of these important
mysteries. *The retina of outer vision though sensitive and
delicate may nevertheless be a hindrance to the inner eye
which alone can perceive. The bestowals of God which are
manifest in all phenomenal life are sometimes hidden by
intervening veils of mental and mortal vision which render man
spiritually blind and incapable* but when those scales are
removed and the veils rent asunder, then the great signs of
God will become visible and he will witness the eternal light
filling the world."  (Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith -
Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 266)

And to sum up my personal view... I think it IS possible to
have TOO MUCH of a GOOD thing and offer this quote from
Baha'u'llah:

" It is incumbent upon them who are in authority to exercise
moderation in all things. Whatsoever passeth beyond the limits
of moderation will cease to exert a beneficial influence.
Consider for instance such things as liberty, civilization and
the like. However much men of understanding may favourably
regard them, they will, if carried to excess, exercise a
pernicious influence upon men.... Please God, the peoples of
the world may be led, as the result of the high endeavours
exerted by their rulers and the wise and learned amongst men,
to recognize their best interests. "
(Baha'u'llah, The Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, p. 112-114)

Lovingly, Sandra