Brent,

This servant offers one perspective on the ramifications of this verse:

If we take Baha'u'llah literally when He says to be detached from all things, we put things into a different perspective.

Likewise, when we disregard all things "current amongst men", we perceive that all that is "current amongst men", whether during Baha'u'llah's lifetime or our own, should be avoided. Let's take two things that are current amongst men:

1) tests.....there is a theory in social psychology called the "just world" theory...it states that people get what they deserve...that a rich person, a physically beuatiful person, a famous person, etc. have what they have because they deserve it. The thinking "current amongst men" says that good people get good things and bad people have bad things happen to them. For example....take my mother-in-law. She is a devout Christian. She opposes the Baha'i Faith and regrets that three of her daughters have become Baha'is.

She, unconsciously, holds to the "just world" theory. In 1991 when I had a heart attack and in 2001 when I had a stroke, she subtly sent the message to me that "if I only followed Jesus, these bad things would not be happening to me." She is convinced that I am having these "bad" things happen to me because I am not a Christian.

But this one knows better....those tests were "blessings," designed to draw me closer to God.

In the last "Test and Difficulties" prayer, the Bab says:

"I know of a certainty, by virtue of my love for Thee, that Thou wilt never cause tribulations to befall any soul unless Thou desirest to exalt his station..."

Likewise, Baha'u'llah, in the Hidden Words says:

"My calamity is My providence."

And in the first "Test and Difficulties" prayer says:

"...tests are a healing medicine to such as are nigh unto Thee..."

So, it is clear that what is "current amongst men" (i.e. that bad people get bad things) is completely false.

2) wealth

A second example is wealth. What is "current amongst men" is to laud the vast accumulation of wealth....to admire people like Donald Trump, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, etc. But,

the Bab says:

"Indeed shouldst Thou desire to confer blessing upon a servant Thou wouldst blot out from the realm of his heart every mention or disposition except Thine Own mention; and shouldst Thou ordain evil for a servant...Thou woulsdt test him with the benefits of this world and of the next that he might become preoccupied therewith and forget Thy remembrance."

And Baha'u'llah, in the Kitab-i-Ahd, states:

"In earthly riches fear is hidden and peril concealed"

And in the Hidden Words states that

"But for a few", the rich shall in no wise attain His presence.

And we remember from the Bible: that it is easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to heaven.

These are but two examples that show that the thinking "current amongst men" is flawed.

We "think" that wealth is good when we "eat it" with the thoughts that are "current amongst men," but it is actually "bitter" to our stomachs in the end when we allow it to distract us from God.

So there is no misunderstanding...poverty is not being advocated here. Means are necessary. But they are meant to be expended in His path and not stored up to take care of us and grossly accumulated.

Everything "current amongst men" is seen as sweet as honey, but, in reality, are distractions from God and are ultimately "bitter" to our stomachs.

The Seven Valleys talks about people being "distracted," in serach of the friend. The world is a distraction that we are encouraged to be "detached" from.

It seems sweet, but in the end is bitter.

One thought on this subject.

James

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent
by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and
for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by
federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please
immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message
and any attachments thereto. Thank you.