Susan,

At 03:04 AM 8/5/2005, you wrote:
>>I think, by the way, you are vastely overestimating the numbers of Christian
>>Reconstructionalists. As Mark pointed out, Gary North went over to Christian
>>Identity. Fundamentalists have become increasingly politicized over the past
>>thirty years, but very, very few are Reconstructionalists.<<

It depends on how broadly you want to define the concept. Rushdoony was a
Calvinist, and it is true that Christian Reconstructionists make up only a tiny
minority within 5-point Calvinism.

However, outside Calvinism, Christian Reconstructionism and Rushdoony have had
a considerable impact on fundamentalism and conservative evangelicalism -
especially with pentecostals and charismatics. When separated from Calvinism,
these views are generally called "dominion theology."

For instance, Pat Robertson, while a dispensational premillennialist, has taken
some ideas developed by Rushdoony, whom he admires a great deal, and used them
in his own version of the Christian Right. These are most evident in his book,
_The Secret Kingdom_, which I read back when it first came out in 1992.

Also, kingdom now theology ("latter rain"), a pentecostal movement which owes
much to both Rushdoony and William Branham, is overtly post-millennialist.
Proponents believe that Christ will not return until the church has dominion
over the earth.

Via moderna, Mark A. Foster . http://markfoster.net
... since [a] word is said to be common, it can be called
a universal. - Wm. of Ockham, Summa Logicae, part I
Structurization Tech: http://tech.structurization.com

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.