The Baha'i Studies Listserv
> Why is sectarianism such an issue for western religions?

Dear Stephen,

Another way of wording your question is why do the Abrahamic religions
place so much stress on the Covenant. It is because we believe so
strongly in the authority of revelation. We don't simply decide on the
basis of our own reason what God is like or what He wants from us,
rather He reveals His will to us. The Covenant is the way the
integrity of that will is preserved. Ultimately firmness in the
Covenant means that when God asks the question, "Am I not your Lord"
we answer affirmatively instead of following our own imaginations.

warmest, Susan