From: Matt Haase <matthewhaa...@gmail.com>
Sender: <bounce-510586-2080...@list.jccc.edu>Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:16:07
To: Baha'i Studies<bahai-st@list.jccc.edu>
Subject: Re: Ablutions

The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Just as you might interpret a lot of things from your own Baha'i Faith
symbolically and metaphorically, perhaps you may also want to give Islam the
same kind of treatment and see what comes from it? I understand that you are
upset by what some of the Mullahs have said about the Baha'is, but I don't
think Islam as a world religion with a billion adherents should be subjected
to what some clerics say. The Qur'an itself allows for interfaith marriages
with the "people of the Book." If all non-Muslims are regarded as "ritually
unclean", then how is it that a Muslim is permitted to have the most
intimate of all relationships with such a person? *"And among His signs is
this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that you may
dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your
hearts. Verily in that are signs for those who reflect." (Qur'an 30:21) *How
can you "dwell in tranquility" with someone you regard is "ritually impure",
and put "love and mercy between your hearts"? It just doesn't make any sense
to me to say that a Muslim can't be friends or even so far as physically
touch a non-Muslim because they are ritually impure, but yet it's okay to go
a thousand steps further and marry them.

Best Regards