The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Serious researchers agree.  The best evidence is actually the original
identical twin study.  In spite of what gay activists claim, it proves that
being homosexual is not primarily genetically determined.

#1 - the participants were not found via some kind of random process, but were
actively recruited thru' ads in gay interest magazines/newspaper at the time.
Further, both siblings had to agree to the tests/questionaires.  This means
that they were more open to the idea of homosexual acceptability than the
general public.

#2 - in spite of this, only half of the identical twins who were homosexual had
siblings who were also homosexual.  If homosexuality was indeed primarily
genetically determined, then the correlation would have been on the order or
95%, not 52%.

Does this study prove there is a genetic element?  The methodology is too
flawed to be definitive.  But it proves that there are other factors involved.
If genetics is not, then, the determining element, then psycho-sociological
factors must be.   And in fact we do not know in how many of the cases of
positive correlation genetics was in fact the determining element.

Numerous studies over the last 50 years have shown that homosexual activity is
far higher than had been previously tho't.  What these studies show more
conclusively is that most humans are biologically bisexual in their interests
and that the expression of this interest is determined by social mores.  There
also appears to be a very small percentage of people who are exclusively
heterosexual or homosexual, who are incapable of orgasm in any other way.  My
personal guess is that each of these two categories prob constitute on the
order of 1:1000.

Don C