The Baha'i Studies Listserv

On Apr 10, 2013, at 12:59 34PM, Stephen Kent Gray wrote:

> The Baha'i Studies Listserv
> How would you verify or falsify such an unscientific claim? It also seems you
> are making the theoretical perfect the enemy of the practical good?
>
> Even if as you claim, heterosexual monogamy has greater potential than
> homosexual monogamy. This claim is scientifically dubious though. It doesn't
> follow not to allow same sex marriage or same sex adoption.

You're right.  This is a conclusion based largely on philosophy/theology.

> You seem to imply heterosexual monogamy has a monopoly on stability.
>
> You can't predict whether any given family will be stable or unstable based
> on such variables.

I'm not claiming that the reason for giving preference to a monogamous
heterosexual relationship is stability w/in the family.
my position is that for optimum rearing a child requires both a mother and
father; and that a man can not be an effective mother not a woman an effective
father.
I realize this idea is inconsistent w/ the contemporary liberal secular view,
but I don't really care.  It is consistent w/ my understanding of Baha'i
Scriptures.

Don C

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 9, 2013, at 16:20, Don Calkins <don59...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Baha'i Studies Listserv
>> Aha, my mistake.
>>
>> I don't think there are any that are really good.  That's because this is a
>> very complex topic w/ an unknown number of important factors, and because we
>> are currently living in a fundamentally dysfunctional society.
>>
>> At the present time, I doubt that monogamous heterosexual relationships
>> regularly produce a significantly superior family atmosphere over any other.
>>  i believe they have the potential to do so, but that this potential is
>> largely squandered or overwhelmed by outside influences.
>>
>> Don C
>>

>> On Apr 9, 2013, at 2:05 14PM, Stephen Kent Gray wrote:
>>
>>> I was talking about heterosexual monogamy being best, what studies of
>>> homosexual monogamy and parenting are you familiar with?

>> It doesn't matter whether the sun shines if you never go outside.

It doesn't matter whether the sun shines if you never go outside.