The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Response from the Institutions about Steven Greer

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: A discussion on Facebook concerning extraterrestrials and
Steven Greet
Date:   Sun, 28 Jul 2013 09:08:16 -0600
From:   Baha'i Internet Agency <programdirec...@bia.bahai.org>
To:     Mike Moum <mike.m...@gmail.com>

Dear Baha'i Friend,

We apologize for the delay in our response.  Thank you for your message.
The Baha'i institutions are aware of the activity of Mr. Greer and his
ideas are in no way endorsed by them.  If you still have concerns about
the two believers you mention, you may wish to contact an Auxiliary Board
member.

With loving greetings,

Baha'i Internet Agency

> Dear friends,
> I am writing to you because I am concerned about a recent thread on
Facebook, started by a Baha'i, about alien life on earth and the
suppression of evidence by a conspiracy composed of governments and
various others, and in which Steven Greer is mentioned. Mr Greer is
apparently a Baha'i, served for three years at the World Center in Haifa,
and is the head of the "Disclosure Project", which aims to get the
government to reveal the evidence it is suppressing. He has also founded
an organization, known as CSETI, which solicits money from people in order
to fund its research. He is controversial even in the UFO advocated
community, and one of the reasons why many ufologists discredit him is
that he is a Baha'i.
> What I am particularly concerned about is that at least two Baha'is who
I know personally, and consider to be well deepened and grounded in the
Faith, and who I have found to have good judgment, are enthusiastic
supporters of him, and seem to imply, as I see it, that his status as a
Baha'i who has served at the World Center lends credibility to his claims.

<deleted>

There is an ongoing discussion of this topic on the Baha'i Studies email list,
and one of the Baha'is there suggested that this topic should be brought
to the attention of the Institutions if some of the believers are taking
him seriously. Support of Greer's claims of a conspiracy to suppress
evidence also implies, in my opinion, criticism of the
government. Your office was suggested, so I am writing to you.

<deleted>