The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Hi Sen,

I think the bahá'í writings rejects the idea of the original sin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_sin

Also I think the bahá'í writings don't assure the sinlessness of Mary, mother
of Jesus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_sin

SAQ, chapter 30:
Observe that if, according to the suppositions of the People of the Book, 7 the
meaning were taken in its exoteric sense, it would be absolute injustice and
complete predestination. If Adam sinned by going near the forbidden tree, what
was the sin of the glorious Abraham, and what was the error of Moses the
Interlocutor? What was the crime of Noah the Prophet? What was the
transgression of Joseph the Truthful? What was the iniquity of the Prophets of
God, and what was the trespass of John the Chaste? Would the justice of God
have allowed these enlightened Manifestations, on account of the sin of Adam,
to find torment in hell until Christ came and by the sacrifice of Himself saved
them from excruciating tortures? Such an126 idea is beyond every law and rule
and cannot be accepted by any intelligent person.

El Sábado, 16 de noviembre, 2013 7:02 A.M., Sen & Sonja <senmcgl...@gmail.com>
escribió:

The Baha'i Studies Listserv
On 16 Nov 2013 at 1:36, Don Calkins wrote:

> The Baha'i Studies Listserv
> I tho´t there was an authoritative letter saying that we believed
in the Virgin Birth but not the immaculate conception of Mary.
> I can´t find it, so was i imagining things?

We believe in the immaculate conception of everyone, in the sense of
their not receiving an original sin transmitted through sexual
conception. The higher intent of the Roman Catholic doctrine
 is to
point to the special innocence, purity and sinlessness of Mary, and
this is a Bahai teaching, found in the Iqan, where Baha'u'llah says:

"reflect upon the state and condition of Mary. So deep was the
perplexity of that most beauteous countenance,... How could she claim
that a Babe Whose father was unknown had been conceived of the Holy
Ghost? Therefore did Mary, that veiled and immortal Countenance, ...
    (Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Iqan, p. 55)

That the Babe was conceived of the Holy Ghost refers both to the
Virgin Birth and to Mary's "virginity" (not necessarily as defined by
a hymen, but certainly a continuing station of immaculacy). Look also
at how Mary is described: as a most beauteous countenance (Tal`at
kabri) and "that veiled and immortal Countenance" (mukhaddarat-e
baqaa: ie, she is a virgin kept "behind the curtain" who has her
eternal subsistence in God).
 Hence Shoghi Effendi says that the Iqan
"upholds the purity and innocence of the Virgin Mary" (God Passes By,
p. 139).

The formulation of this that reflects the Islamic background is "the
immaculacy of Mary." This immaculacy (like that of Fatimeh and the
Imams) is not something achieved during life, it is granted in
pre-existence, hence it cannot exclude conception. The formulation
"immaculate conception" -- the Catholic term -- turns the focus
towards the concept of original sin, since immaculate conception of
Mary in Catholicism is a mystery or miracle that is an exception to
the rule of inherited sin. It's likely to lead to misunderstandings,
and it did: Shoghi Effendi referred to the doctrine of the immaculate
conception in Promised Day is Come in 1941:

"Count Mastai-Ferretti, [Pius IX) ... will be permanently remembered
as the author of the Bull which declared the Immaculate Conception
 of
the Blessed Virgin (1854), referred to in the Kitáb-i-Íqán, to be a
doctrine of the Church, ....
    (The Promised Day is Come, p. 53)

However he also referred in that letter to the "immaculacy of the
Virgin Mary"

As to the position of Christianity, let it be stated without any
hesitation or equivocation that its divine origin is unconditionally
acknowledged, that the Sonship and Divinity of Jesus Christ are
fearlessly asserted, that the divine inspiration of the Gospel is
fully recognized, that the reality of the mystery of the Immaculacy
of the Virgin Mary is confessed, and the primacy of Peter, the Prince
of the Apostles, is upheld and defended.
    (The Promised Day is Come, p. 109)

The first of these, read carelessly, was often taken as an
affirmation of the Virgin Birth of Jesus, since that is what is most
clearly affirmed in the Iqan (and in
 Some Answered Questions, where
it is interpreted). Bahais who did not believe in literal miracles
had a problem here, for they supposed that Shoghi Effendi was saying
that the Iqan affirmed a literal understanding of Virgin Birth.

The memory you are chasing is probably this one, a letter dated
October 1948, which follows a series of letters on behalf of the
Guardian by secretaries who think the Immaculate Conception is
another term for the Virgin Birth of Jesus (the letter is cited in a
Research Department memorandum) which states:

+++++++++++
...it is clear that the beloved Guardian understood the difference
between the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary and the Virgin
Birth of Jesus.  In October 1948 one of the believers wrote to him
questioning Baha'i belief in the Virgin Birth, but referring to it as
'The Immaculate Conception.' The Guardian's reply, which was written
by
 his secretary on his behalf, corrects this misunderstanding while
answering the substance of the question:

==
"At the time when you and your dear husband came into the Faith the
teachings were not as fully translated as they are now, and there
were many misapprehensions regarding certain matters.  One of them
seems to have been the "Immaculate Conception" or what we really mean
is the Virgin Birth (for the two are different.) The Master clearly
writes in a Tablet that Christ was *not* begotten in the ordinary
way, but by the Holy Spirit.  So we must accept this. Every Faith has
some miracles, and this is the great miracle of the Christian
Faith.'"
==

++++++++++++

The 1948 letter distinguishes two things which were being conflated,
and answers the question that was actually being asked : do we
believe in the miraculous conception of Jesus and the Virgin Birth?
It does
 not deny that we *also* believe in the Immaculacy of Mary
(and of Fatimeh, and the Imams, and the Manifestations of God). This
immaculacy is a freedom from sin, from moral error, which is -- to
cause another confusion -- translated as infallibility.

~~ Sen
Sen McGlinn      senmcgl...@gmail.com
http://senmcglinn.wordpress.com
                  ***
When, however, thou dost contemplate the innermost essence of things,
                 and the individuality of each,
         thou wilt behold the signs of thy Lord's mercy . . ."
Baha'i Studies is available through the
 following: