The RTC uses the ds1307 kernel driver and you're correct, it shows up as
rtc1. It is loaded when the capemgr instantiates the device tree, since the
driver is in the CryptoCape DTS file. So you shouldn't need any
init.d/systemd scripting it should "just work"TM.

You'll have to set the clock once and then it should hold pretty well. In
testing think I had a bum battery b/c it depleted rather quickly. Once I
changed batteries it seems to be holding steady.