One other data point.  If I don't press and hold the boot switch when power
is applied and instead wait a few seconds after applying power and then
press the boot switch, the pserial command is able to detect the ASIC ID
and download the x-loan.bin.

$ sudo ./pserial -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -f x-load.bin
Waiting For Device ASIC ID: Press Ctrl+C to stop
ASIC ID Detected: 0x85 0x74 0x61 0x90
Sending 2ndFile:
Downloading file: 100.000% completed (10516/10516 bytes)
File download completed.

However, the BBB boots from the eMMC instead of the x-loan.bin I
downloaded.  So this is progress.  It means that my pserial command does
work with a BBB and the BBB ROM code does respond with its ASIC ID and does
in fact download the x-load.bin.  It looks like I just need to figure out
what the correct boot switch power on sequence is now.