Hi!

Kenji, I have been following progress around HTTP2 push and it looks to me
that all the focus is on HTTP2 pushes which happen at the page loading
time. But there are also pushes which happen later on, after the page has
already loaded. Concrete example: I have an app which subscribes to
notifications from the server (using SSE or WebSockets), when it gets a
notification that some resource changed, the app makes a HTTP request to
fetch the new resource (to then update DOM reactively). By separating
notification from payload and not pushing data itself over WebSocket, those
resources can be cached so that the next time the page loads they can be
reused. With HTTP2 push the server can send the resource to the client
together with the notification itself, so that data is available together
with the notification. I do not see something like possible with Early
Hints?

Another limitation of Early Hints seems to be that resources which require
Authorization header cannot be preloaded, am I mistaken? With HTTP2 push
you can push such a resource and add a corresponding anticipated header.

Mitar

http://mitar.tnode.com/
https://twitter.com/mitar_m