Oof, I agree it's not good that the only documentation for the actual code
point value is in Chromium code - that's the sort of thing our blink I2S
process is supposed to prevent. In addition to confusion, there's also
potential IP-risk downsides to this. Our blink process is generally to
block shipping on the existence of some specification for everything
necessary for a compatible implementation in a forum that ensures IP
protection. While this isn't typically an adoption barrier for many
companies, I know it has been in the past for some (including Microsoft).
This doesn't mean we have to block on getting consensus in the "right"
standards venue, we can just do a monkey-patch spec in a venue like the
WICG, or an unlanded PR in a formal WG where the PR counts as an IP
contribution. Then we can ship it as an "incubation" while doing the
standards maturation work in parallel. Erik, can you comment on the extent
to which such incubation spec work would help with Microsoft adoption?

Victor, is there any chance you can throw something together quickly (spec
PR or monkey-patch) that would cover the gaps in what's necessary for
compatible implementations? This particular delta seems very tiny and
straightforward to me, so I was originally thinking I'd just approve it.
But in principle I don't think we should be continuing to approve changes
to APIs which we realize are struggling with adoption due to the standards
work not quite being up to our I2S bar.

Erik, thank you for your offer of help on the standardization front! It
definitely sounds to me like we should be pushing on the full standards
effort in parallel to this specific intent. Having Microsoft and Google
work together on that would hopefully be able to accelerate it.

Rick