Contact emailsloubr...@google.com, glen...@chromium.org
<alancut...@chromium.org>, mgi...@chromium.org, bre...@chromium.org

Explainer
https://github.com/WICG/manifest-incubations/blob/gh-pages/tabbed-mode-explainer.md

Specificationhttps://github.com/WICG/manifest-incubations/pull/95 (draft)

Summary

Allow web app windows to have a tab strip. This adds a new display mode
"tabbed" and a new manifest field to allow customizations to the tab strip.

Following a 6-milestone origin trial, we would like to continue
experimenting as the feature team is not ready to commit to shipping, and
gathered very little data from the initial experiment (as partners we have
lined up have not yet started their experiment).

Per the Blink policy, we have made substantial progress in these five areas:

   - Draft spec: https://github.com/WICG/manifest-incubations/pull/95
   - TAG review: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/841
   (closed with "unsatisfied"; I have sent a follow-up comment).
   - Signals requests:
      - WebKit: https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/195
      (ignored)
      - Mozilla: https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/811
      (closed as not interested in any of "these sorts of features")
   - Outreach for feedback from spec community:
   https://developer.chrome.com/docs/capabilities/tabbed-application-mode
   - WPT tests:

https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/blob/master/appmanifest/display-override-member/display-override-member-media-feature-tabbed-manual.tentative.html

Blink componentBlink>AppManifest
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EAppManifest>

TAG reviewhttps://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/841

TAG review statusClosed ("Unsatisfied")

Chromium Trial NameWebAppTabStrip

Origin trial feedback summary
Only a small number of signups, most look like individuals wanting to
experiment. A handful of small PWAs are using it. A few large sites signed
up for the trial but do not appear to be using it.

That said, we think this is a useful feature and want to keep exploring
possible customers of the API.

I was unable to see any qualitative feedback from registrants.

Origin Trial documentation link
https://developer.chrome.com/docs/capabilities/tabbed-application-mode

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

*Gecko*: Defer (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/811)

*WebKit*: No signal (
https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/195)

*Web developers*: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/737)

*Other signals*:

WebView application risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that
it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?

N/A

Goals for experimentation

Roll out one major client and get developer and user feedback.

Ongoing technical constraints

Reuses browser tab strip code, adding further dependency between the
browser tab strip and PWA windows.

Debuggability

chrome://web-app-internals can be used for debugging, and the new manifest
field could also be added to the DevTools Application pane.

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac,
Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?No

The origin trial is available on ChromeOS only. Support for other desktop
platforms is planned but low priority.

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?Partial (more coming)

Flag name on chrome://flagschrome://flags/#enable-desktop-pwas-tab-strip

Finch feature name

Non-finch justificationNone

Requires code in //chrome?True

Tracking bughttps://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=897314

Launch bughttps://launch.corp.google.com/launch/4253814

Estimated milestones
OriginTrial desktop last 126
OriginTrial desktop first 118

Links to previous Intent discussionsIntent to prototype:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/IvfIkjvQYuY/m/cixwOyEeAAAJ
Intent to Experiment:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/m16m2TEq-NM/m/0Bc10numCgAJ

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
<https://chromestatus.com/> and edited by hand.