On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 8:29 AM Alex Russell <slightly...@chromium.org>
wrote:

> Great to hear there's support for the feature.
>
> 118-126 w/o breaking changes is pushing things. Is it practical to ship
> inside the 123-126 window? How close are we?\

Hi Alex,

Sorry for the delay, we've been trying to figure out the timing for this
feature since there are a bunch of moving parts. We're going to try to get
this into M126 (soon) and are working on the finishing touches. Look for
communication in the coming weeks.

The main reason is that M126 is the ChromeOS Long-Term Support ("LTS")
release used by many companies and schools. The date-based origin trials
interact particularly poorly with the LTS releases, and because this
feature is triggered by a manifest, it can't really be feature-detected for
a fallback like you would normally do for a web trial. As a result, the
options are (1) land in M126, (2) extend the origin trial until M126 LTS
ends in 2025, or (3) inflict brokenness on LTS users.

To answer Stefan's questions:

   - I think this would be a nice feature on all platforms as well, but the
   browser team has not shown interest outside of ChromeOS for now.
   - The thinking behind the lack of favicons is that they would normally
   all be the same which is a bit weird.
   - The active/inactive split should be inherited from the general browser
   tab strip behavior. We have promised not to diverge the presentation from
   the default tab strip to keep the maintenance burden on the team lower
   while re-using the browser tab strip code.

Brett