Hi Kendy,

thanks for participating to the discussion.

On 08/02/2022 16:41, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
Hi all,

Paolo Vecchi píše v Po 07. 02. 2022 v 19:16 +0100:

Enable TDF to contribute more code to LibreOffice with in-house
developers to address our donors specific needs
My candidacy statement was much more focused on the community growth;
so I'd like to propose a different vision:

   TDF should be a pleasant place for contributors to feel welcome.
   TDF should focus on growing the community, mentoring, and welcoming
   newcomers.

I don't think that paying in-house developers is in line with this
vision;
I totally share your vision which is very much complementary to what I propose.

I've been a developer as well many years ago so I know how important is to have an open and relaxed environment where developers can exchange experiences and ideas.

Having in-house developers will make it easier to share the knowledge as developers can/should be also mentors enabling us to help more people.

  if we talk about TDF employees or contractors, we need more
mentors - because that is the only way how to scale:

   "Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person
   to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime".

This is what TDF should be doing in my view - teaching how to fish, not
fishing itself.
The best person that can teach you how to fish is an experienced fisherman.

While we have an excellent Team that is doing its best, TDF needs to grow more in-house experienced fishermen that can help in making LibreOffice better while teaching others to do the same.

Even Mr Meeks confirmed today during the Team call that there is so much work that could be done to keep 100s of developers busy for a lifetime so it's likely we will have to employ more than 2 developers to do some actual development and also to enable new contributors to participate in the efforts of keeping LibreOffice as the best Open Source office suite available.

I believe TDF will be very well positioned to offer a neutral environment where everyone is welcome even in situation where contributors may be competitors outside this safe environment where we can provide experienced "fishermen" that will teach how to improve LibreOffice to all interested parties without distinction.

I'm sure we can work very well together in combining our complementary visions for TDF.
All the best,
Kendy

Ciao

Paolo

--
Paolo Vecchi - Deputy Member of the Board of Directors