On 18 September 2017 at 16:51, Zane Healy <heal...@aracnet.com> wrote:
> I can’t help but think that in the US, this belongs in a museum.

I agree and that is Peter's thought as well.

> For those wanting to give RISC OS a try, it’s available for the Raspberry Pi
> (and yes, that’s why I bought a Pi).

Yes, I have a bootable RISC OS µSD card for my own RasPi 3. :-)

> I would have thought that the RISC OS community would be appreciative of an
> app such as Firefox being available.

You would think, wouldn't you?

However, by RISC OS standards it is a huge and very slow app, and
being a ported Unix app, it does not follow RISC OS user interface
conventions.

http://www.osnews.com/story/15798/The-Slightly-Strange-World-of-RISC-OS/

So it was not widely adopted, nobody helped with the port, and it sort
of withered on the vine. Tragic given the amount of effort that Peter
put into it.

He developed a library offering a Unix API to apps running under RISC OS:

http://www.riscos.info/index.php/UnixLib

There was, I think, an existing port of GCC:

http://www.riscos.info/index.php/GCCSDK

But again, RISC OS users didn't like it as you couldn't readily built
RISC OS itself and RISC OS apps with it -- for that, you needed
Acorn's very expensive Norcroft C compiler.

Peter also wrote another library allowing X.11 apps to run under RISC OS:

http://www.riscos.info/index.php/ChoX11

It also supported other apps, including SDL for some games:

http://www.drobe.co.uk/article.php?id=655&hlt=peter+naulls

They, or rather he with a little assistance, ported a number of apps
and provided dev tools.

https://archive.org/details/cdrom-riscos-cunix

But the apps were considered large, inefficient, they did not blend in
with existing RISC OS apps, so nobody else got on board.

Also, RISC OS was and is proprietary and there's a strong culture of
paying for software and hardware. There are commercial apps which on
other platforms would be considered toys. They have the attitude that
anything that's free can't be any good. The community is surprisingly
lively, but they're mostly quite elderly now -- I used to go to the
meetings in London and in my mid-40s was most often the youngest
person there. They are 60-70 year olds who reluctantly moved to GUI
computing some 30-odd years back and do not want to move on again,
particularly to foreign (i.e. non-British) software which is, by RISC
OS standards, huge and slow and inefficient.

I have some sympathy -- I cut my teeth on RISC OS myself, and I retain
a fondness for it. It was a blisteringly quick OS with a powerful,
elegant UI. The _only_ other desktop OS I've ever used that came close
was BeOS.

OS/2, Windows, Linux and *BSD, all are horrid sprawling messes of
half-implemented cruft by comparison. :-D

I never even really "got" the Amiga and AmigaOS -- I chose an
Archimedes instead and never regretted it for a second.

All IMHO natch and I do not mean to represent any individual.

Anyway, in the end, Peter took another job and basically dropped his
involvement with the RO community. Tragic, but I understand why.

Anyway, I think this is to whom he offered the machines:

http://www.computerhistory.org/

Whether anyone else would want them, e.g.
http://www.livingcomputers.org/ I do not know.

But I hope someone rescues them.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lpro...@gmail.com