On 8/20/2023 2:43 PM, Glen Slick via cctalk wrote:
On Sun, Aug 20, 2023, 12:05 PM John H. Reinhardt via cctalk <
cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

Hello all.  I looking around for a Logic Analyzer for doing (mostly) DEC
QBus/UniBus stuff.  Being the way I am I want something with enough lines
to handle the most of the signals so I'm guessing something with roughly
80-ish channels.  I think that lets out all/most of the USB based LA.  I've
looked around and it seems the the HP/Agilent 16700 series (16700B/16702B)
are probably what I want.  I've also seen the 1670G which also seems quite
doable.  I've seen a lot of posts at the EEVblog and it seems I missed
possibly the golden age of 16700 LA by a few years price-wise.

What I'm wondering is if there is something specific I should be looking
for, or opinions on which LA is more suitable.  Or even if there is a
different make of LA to look for.

Thanks in advance for your help

John H. Reinhardt

Where are you located? That can have a large impact on the cost of
acquiring a large 16700-series logic analyzer. For example, I have more of
those than I need in the Seattle area. A local deal might work out well,
but if shipping is involved that can quickly get too expensive.

If bench space is limited, a 1670G takes up a lot less, and is completely
self contained and easier to move around and set up. On the other hand, a
16700-series is more flexible, and if you have space to set up an external
monitor you can see a lot more data on the screen at the same time without
scrolling around.

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for chiming in.  I've seen you post often on the EEVblog about various
LA.

I knew I forgot something.  I'm in the Fort Worth, Texas area. So middle of the country length-wise
but down South.  I've seen shipping on Ebay range from "included" (which is kind of
scary) to $350 and "freight".

My bench space right now is kind of limited but I'm hoping in a few years
(retirement) I'll have a bigger space to poke around in.  The 1670G is
interesting in that way.  There seems to be a pretty complete one (Options 002
and 003 - OSC and memory) on Ebay but that's the place that's charging $350 for
shipping.

--
John H. Reinhardt