On 5/1/2024 8:04 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
On 5/1/24 16:51, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

APL was incredible.  I was amazed.  I was immediately able to do a few
simple things that were useful for my boss and myself, and writing
simple programs within hours.  Its matrix arithmetic was awesome. APL
typeball on a selectric terminal at GSFC, . . .
Some of the keys were re-labeled, but there was a chart on the wall of
which keyboard characters were which APL symbols.

It was indeed.  It was also one of the first languages implemented on a
microprocessor-based personal computer system.  (MCM-70).

To me, APL is logical--strict right-to-left precedence; simple array and
matrix operations.

I've long wondered if we introduced students to APL as a first language,
what our applications code would look like today.

Marist College did.  We had an intern from there when I was at
West Point.  He was not better than any of the interns I later
ran into and because the only language he was learning at Marist
was APL (after all, this was IBM-Land) he was really not of much
use to us in a Univac-1100 shop.

bill