On Thu, 2 May 2024 at 00:51, Fred Cisin via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> What would our world be like if the first home computers were to have had
> APL, instead of BASIC?

To be perfectly honest I think the home computer boom wouldn't have
happened, and it would have crashed and burned in the 1970s, with the
result that microcomputers remained firmly under corporate control.

I have been watching the APL world with interest since I discovered it
at university, and I still don't understand a word of it.

I've been watching Lisp for just 15 years or so and I find it unreadable too.

I think there are widely different levels of mental flexibility among
smart humans and one person's "this just requires a small effort but
you get so much in return!" is someone else's eternally impossible,
unclimbable mountain.

After some 40 years in computers now, I still like BASIC best, with
Fortran and Pascal very distant runners-up and everything else from C
to Python is basically somewhere between Minoan Linear A and Linear B
to me.

I think I lack the mental flexibility, and I think I'm better than
most of hoi polloi.

If the early machines had used something cryptic like APL or Forth I
reckon we'd never have had a generation of child programmers.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com