Hey Grumpy Fred, thanks for sharing your story and honored to be around
those who met with Gary.   I recall some versions of the story was that he
decided to go flying that day since he was quarreling with his wife (or
that he decided to personally do that errands, just to "get out of the
house" sort of thing).   That could be a culture thing - what I mean is,
that he didn't think it critical for IBM to make their decision THAT day.
 And that's the other rumors to the story: that IBM did try to follow up in
days or weeks that follow.     We'll probably never know the exact truth of
things - except that I do think everyone generally agrees that at least
Bill Gates did TRY to give CP/M a chance, which is somewhat admirable (in
acknowledging that "if you want the best, this is the guy you need to talk
to").   The autobiography of Paul Allen, he claims he strongly nudged Gates
into looking into QDOS.   And for me, I'm convinced Tim do sufficient
independent work to make QDOS.    But I'm baffled - CP/M was always "just"
a 64K OS.  Meaning QDOS/PC/MS-DOS, to its credit, tackled the banking
challenge - that is, from a software developers perspective, you could
allocate 250,000 bytes (if the system had RAM) and the OS managed the
up-to-10 segments for you rather seamlessly.   I never actually actively
used CP/M myself, but my understanding is in all the systems you find it on
- like even the OSBORNE-1, they are 64K systems.    (the later concurrent
and DR-DOS obviously tackled that - by 1990 I was fully onboard with
DR-DOS, it really was better for a few years there than MS-DOS)

-SteveL (v*)