On 5/8/2024 10:30 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

On May 8, 2024, at 10:25 AM, Harald Arnesen via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

Paul Koning via cctalk [07/05/2024 19.31]:

(Then again, I had a classmate who was taking a double major: math and music
composition...)

Mathemathics and music is not a rare combination - see Tom Lehrer, for instance.
--
Hilsen Harald

My wife (a voice major) pointed out that instrumental music majors tend to be
good at math; voice majors not so much.

Too bad it isn't reciprocal.  I was great at math from a very early age.
Did Algebra and Geometry in grade school.  I have at least a half dozen
instruments and I suck at all of them.  I can play very technically on
most of them but I have no art and can not put any real feeling into the
music I play.  But then, I only play for myself so I guess it really
doesn't matter./  :-)

bill