You're right in that the IBM unit record batch EAM stuff is mainly
'only' interesting in a historical sense (although ISTR that there
were a (very) few games that you could play on them); they evolved
into the mainframes we know and love.

I find them interesting from a 'system' PoV: when you're in a room
with one of these it's like physically being inside a large computer;
there's a separate machine to sort data, another to merge files,
another to do calculations, one to update files, another to add,
subtract and print, etc., with the operator acting as the 'bus' by
carrying decks of cards (data) from one machine to the next. Gives you
a different perspective on data processing.

But the 'manual' accounting machines also evolved into 'real'
computers, but smaller and really no different from an S100 system
except for the physical configuration (e.g. the integrated
keyboard/printer). The later Burroughs L & B series had card cages and
removable cards about the same size and functions as S100, used
cassette, diskette and paper tape I/O, could communicated with remote
systems and could be programmed in machine language, assembler, report
generator or even high level languages such as Cobol. Yes, there was a
Lunar Lander program!