On 04/21/2015 09:40 AM, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
I accept that fscks are required on a periodic basis and I am willing
to reboot more often to achieve these but I would like to minimize
downtime (during the reboot) where possible.

Why do you accept that? The default behavior for filesystems set up by Red Hat tools (anaconda) is not to fsck. Not by mount count, nor by time. The default behavior for e2fsprogs was changed to disable periodic fsck in Feb 2011. CentOS 6 includes a version of e2fsprogs from before that change, but the filesystem is considered very stable, and the periodic fsck is not generally considered necessary.