On 04/21/2015 12:13 PM, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
From: Gordon Messmer Sent: April 21, 2015 10:30

Why do you accept that?

Every article I have read on the subject has recommended this a good
practice.

Not every source is equal.

The maintainers turned that behavior off by default sometime around the release of RHEL 6 (before the release, but after the package set was finalized). Among at least any group I am aware of, ext had been considered very stable for quite a long time before that, and common practice was to disable periodic checks. (As Anaconda has since who-even-knows when. WAY back.)

I have confirmed that filesystems setup by anaconda on both CentOS 6
and RHEL 6 have both boot count and interval disabled however they
are not disabled for any manually created filesystems (they are set
to 24 and 6 months, respectively).

Right. Red Hat's policy was to disable the checks long before that default changed in e2fsprogs (in version 1.42).

. Once disabled, it is recommended to schedule regular "human
   controlled/monitored" filsystem checks, when it is convenient to
   do so. These checks should not be ignored, or scheduled too far
   apart.

CYA?

I'm not aware of such a recommendation in any of their publicly available documentation.

This is from https://access.redhat.com/solutions/70531

Can't access it, myself. My university has a site license for RHEL, but it doesn't give me access to the KB.