Morality, yes, as well as the experience of the person doing the hiring /
paying:  knowing when that extra 100 hours is BS ...

That being said, back when I worked for a custom web development house, we
quoted jobs by the project but we often got asked what the underlying
hourly rate was.  My boss, one of the owners, always said, "What do you
want it to be?"  The implication was that we had already fixed-bidded the
project and we would do it for that amount regardless, and we had already
estimated what we thought the hours were going to be, but if the client
wanted to pay some specific hourly rate, we would simply adjust the hours
to meet their dollar amount.  (If the client didn't want to pay more than
$50 / hr on a $60,000 project, then we just told them to assume it was a
1,200 hour project ...)  They usually realized pretty quickly that they
were asking a bad question, because they had no clue how to estimate our
time.  Now, when we did need to do something on actual time and materials,
then of course we would agree to an hourly rate and track our hours very
closely.  Frankly, we tracked our hours closely on the fixed-bid work, too,
because otherwise *we* had no way to determine whether or not we were
making money on specific projects!

In other words, it always helps to have some understanding of the work you
are asking for ... like knowing when the auto mechanic is blowing smoke up
your tailpipe.