I think that would be a mistake for the reason you give: it's often the
case that an egg hasn't been updated in a long while because it's complete
and nobody has found any bugs in it.  Lisp/Scheme code tends to be
extremely durable: McCarthy's theorem prover from 1958 is still runnable
with only a few surface repairs.