#+begin_quote
Perhaps if you can explain why you need to know if a symbol is bound or
unbound, we might be able to help you better achieve your goal.
#+end_quote

For example, if I want to do things shown in following codes, it is useful to
get the
interned symbols from their names and also get their bound procedures:

 (define-record egg-info
   name author desc)
(define (show-egg-info egg)
   (define (symbol-value sym)
     (##sys#slot sym 0))
(define (getter field-name)
     (symbol-value
      (string->symbol
       (format #f "egg-info-~a"
               field-name))))
(let ((fields '(name author desc)))
     (for-each
      (lambda (f)
        (format #t "~a: ~a~%"
                ((getter f) egg)))
      fields)))

 (show-egg-info (make-egg-info
                 "F-operator"
                 "Kon Lovett"
                 "Shift/Reset Control Operators"))

I think it is a very common idiom in languages from Lisp family. So it is
important to know
how to check symbol is bound and get its value. Every scheme implementation
means for
business seriously should have the ability.

Thanks
Pan