Hello - I am new to this group and certainly am glad I found it. I
have many questions and would love feedback from people experienced
with the breed. I am a stay at home experienced animal lover I have
rescued several dogs and have raised them to be well behaved and
loving animals.
My chihuahua is an 11 week old puppy named Paco. I truly love his
spunk and energy. However my 3yr old male Lhasa apso is not amused.
The puppy is so excited at all times to see him he is lunging,
nipping and chasing the lhasa. I am always playing referee in fear of
little Paco getting flattened. My lhasa has showed great patience,
but I dont know how long its going to last. How do I calm Paco down a
bit so the can live in harmony together?
My other issue is potty training. I am trying to paper train him
until Spring when the weather is warmer. Occasionally he will poop
on the paper all on his own. But mostly it's an accident on the
carpet. He is restricted to my living room area of the house. So I
can keep a close eye on him. When he begins to do his duty on the
carpet I pick him up and say "pee or poop on the paper Paco" and make
a big deal praising him if the mission was accomplished and he gets a
treat. He is getting that I am pleased or unhappy. BUT now when I go
to pick him up he hunkers down or runs from me. I dont want him to be
afraid of me - just to do it on the paper....any ideas??
Thanks for taking the time to listen :) Paco's Mom